"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson
Sept. 23, 1800

Monday, November 10, 2008

National Media Bulldogs

In case you were concerned about the national media being too hard on Obama as president, never fear. From CNN's Reliable Sources, Howard Kurtz asks National Public Radio host Michel Martin about an Obama honeymoon:

KURTZ: Will he get an initial honeymoon from the press, Michel, especially given the historic nature of his victory?

MARTIN: I would argue that he's going to get a honeymoon because of the historic nature of the problems addressing the country right now. I think that this is...

KURTZ: Here he is coming into office...

MARTIN: Coming into office. I mean, I don't want to be...

KURTZ: ... with a huge financial crisis and two wars, and a lot of other things.

MARTIN: And two wars. I mean, I think I would liken it to the period right after 9/11, when the press was very uncritical of the president because you couldn't afford to be. The public had a certain boundary that they were willing to allow you to play, and after a certain point that boundary relaxes. But I think it's really more the underlying circumstances, not so much his status and demographic
.

They won't be asking any tough questions of The Chosen One because that would be just plain un-American!

No comments:

Post a Comment