"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson
Sept. 23, 1800

Monday, November 4, 2013

A Student's View of the Great NC Teacher "Walk-In"

So today North Carolina teachers were organized, I think by the rather despicable NCAE, to walk-out in protest of the education policies contained in this year's budget. Our local teachers, to their credit, thought a "walk-in" would be more wise. They planned to wear red, maybe walk into the school together and I think they held some sort of meeting after school. Whatever, right?

So, of course, I ask John during dinner what became of this whole thing. Did any of his teachers walk out? Or in? Or wear red? Or teach on the value of public education? Or anything out of the ordinary?

The boy looked at me like I was crazy.

"The GOOD teachers didn't do any of that," he said with a look of disgust. Then, with distinct pride, "We have almost all good teachers at South. I think we're the best school. They probably did that stuff at West or something."

I love that kid.

And his teachers. Thank you to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment