"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson
Sept. 23, 1800

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Extra, Cheating Bonus "I" Post

I is also for Irony

I am growing more and more annoyed at all the political posts on Facebook. My annoyance may be turning to amusement, though after seeing something on my friend's newsfeed that defines irony. It wasn't a post I disagree with at all, in fact I am wholeheartedly 100% behind the poster in his sentiment.

This man was angry that a politician, I don't know who or what office he holds and it doesn't matter, was offering up a "prayer" for the death of our president. Ok, this is terrible and it needs to stop. First off, the Presidency itself deserves respect no matter who holds the office. Second, the president, no matter if he is Barack Obama or George W. Bush (who suffered many more vocal death threats than out current president, by the way, including an entire off-Broadway show), is a human being with children and a family and hopes and dreams and faults and everything else we all struggle through life with. So, yes, he was right, wishing death on a politician, or anyone else for that matter, is bad, very bad.

The irony? This person was using a Guy Fawkes mask for his profile picture.

Good grief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment