"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Thomas Jefferson
Sept. 23, 1800

Saturday, April 14, 2012

D Is For.....Debate

Or Discussion, or just talking politics. I love it. That's why I have this blog, I can talk politics to my heart's content without boring people or making them uncomfortable. If you are here reading this, it's your choice and you can stop and go play Angry Birds at any time. Fine with me. That makes it less a debate or a discussion than a diatribe, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

I would much rather have a give and take, though. Either in person or via email, I love talking politics with another person or several people. I really don't mind if the people I'm discussing with agree with me, and I often would rather they don't. I'm not nearly as interested in the "for" or "against" positions held by my friends as I am in the way they came to their conclusions. The only statement that truly offends me is "Well, that's just what I think" as the final and only defense of a position. Unless you're a moron, there are reasons behind your opinions, and those are what I care about. They tell me who you are and what your history is like and what moves your soul. These are things I want to know about my friends and even my acquaintances. The issues change, and  yes or no is often too simple an answer. I'd much rather know that you disagree with me because you have strongly held beliefs than have you agree with me because you just want to get along. I may question your beliefs, but that doesn't mean I disrespect them, much less you. I ask questions to get at the "why" of what you think, not to change your mind but to understand you. It may even change my mind, I wouldn't bother asking if I didn't respect your opinions.

So if you have been reading these little alphabet-inspired pieces, I want to thank you, it means a lot. But it would mean even more to hear back from you, to share our thoughts. Feel free to question me, to disagree with me, to flat out call me a fool. I really don't mind, I am VERY hard to offend. Maybe we won't come upon some galactic, universal truths, but certainly we can have fun trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment